Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Introductions

Without further ado, I guess I better tell you who I am since we ended so abruptly last time.

You can call me Bobby. Robert and Bob work too. Some like 'No Pair', and even 'Grandmaster Tuby'; I'm only half sure where that last one came from.

I play poker for a living. I do other things too like write fiction and screenplays, play guitar, travel too much, and party too hard. But poker has been my main focus for about two years now so that's mostly what I will share here.

New Orleans will forever be my true home. I spent eighteen years dying to leave the place only to discover in the last few that I'm extremely attached to it. There's something about the muggy little port city with a bar on every other corner teeming with degenerates and gourmands. Maybe I've been listening to too much Tom Waites. I still live there. For now.

I started playing poker seriously when Katrina swept me up from Tulane and deposited me at LSU. Of course I had been playing since the whole Moneymaker thing; which by the way, have any of you who love poker, especially those earning a living off it, ever approached Moneymaker and shaken his hand for all he's done for us? I still remember first seeing him on TV in '03/'04 putting beats on people left and right, a chubby clueless messiah doddering his way to victory, transfiguring the whole poker world. Three outer, four outer, sick cooler. Phil Ivey? No problem. Talk about fading everything.

Right, so LSU... For the first couple years I played in home games, small buy-ins with anywhere from ten to forty or so people. A hundred bucks was a lot to me at the time and that's about as much as you could expect to win, and I did, enough at least for my expense-free lifestyle. We slowly migrated to cash games, because of time constraints and low attendance. By the time I turned 21, I had saved up a little over 1k and began taking $400 shots at the 2/5 NL game at the Belle in Baton Rouge and Harrahs nola. In early 2008 I started playing live tournaments and had some unbelievably lucky results. I took 1st in my first three final tables and chopped a fourth heads up. Suddenly I had a bankroll.

What did I do with it? Predictably, I sat in the biggest cash games I could find. These included everything from 2/5/10 NLHE to 10/25/50 PLO. I was definitely outmatched in some of these games, especially the bigger PLO lineups in Biloxi. My stupidity had some merit in the way of experience but I'm lucky I didn't go broke and ran halfway decent to end up only a small loser in the games. My recollection of myself as a player back then was blindly aggressive, spewy, and tilty often with no logic for the moves I tried to pull.

A year and a half later, I'm still around. I do a little bit of everything: live cash, tournaments, online, staking, and now blogging. I did the whole month-long WSOP in Vegas for the first time this past summer. I figured a few things out about myself, as a player and a post-graduate in the real world. At least it tastes real. I've been fortunate enough to be surrounded by players who have more experience than I do, at poker and the lifestyle. Tyler and Cub come to mind, respectively.

I'll be around the Gulf South tournament circuit for awhile I'd imagine. You'll probably catch me at LAPC and WSOP, and I'm also aiming to make it over to a couple EPT events this year as well. I leave it at that.

Oh by the way, welcome to FADE EVERYTHING. If you made it this far, I must be doing something right.

No comments:

Post a Comment