Sunday, January 17, 2010

When Biloxi Freezes Over

Biloxi has been cold in every sense of the word. I’ve fallen into a routine of playing every noon-event tournament for eight or so hours, busting sometime between dinner break and the bubble, then stumbling back to the condo where dire cold and piercing winds wait for me on what seems like a mile long trek from the last parking spot to my door. This was not how I envisioned moving into a condo on the beach. That being said, I’m very pleased with the condo itself. It came with all the furniture and appliances I could ever want, a huge interior space, and a wrap-around balcony overlooking the coast.

Fortunately, things seem to be warming up. The cold has been less bitter the last couple days. I scored my first cash last night in the 1k. I hardly made any profit but after nine bricks in a row, I’ll take it. One of my horses survived to day two, so I’ll be leaving soon to go sweat him and finally play some cash games.

At a live tournament series like this one I’m always torn between playing every noon event and solely grinding cash. Usually I end up with some desperate mix of both, where one side cancels out my losses for the other, depending on how I’m running. And if you get stuck in neutral for several months like this, it can be extremely frustrating. This time around I’ve decided the noon events have way too much value to pass up, with the fields being as soft as they have; but I’m also resolving to put in as many hours as possible for cash and try to outrun some short term variance.

The tournaments are getting tougher as of Friday. PCA wrapped up, so all the sickos must have decided to make the short plane-hop over. In the $550 I picked up the worst table draw I think I’ve ever had in a non-main event gulf coast tournament. That’s not to say I necessarily knew all the players by name, but there were at least five to six good young internet wizards at my table all day. Even worse, my table was not scheduled to break, ever. At some point Ryan Welsch joined the party and I bubbled soon after.

Now it’s time to go lay on my balcony for the ten minutes of sun they’re issuing us per day in Biloxi. I’m sure to drag myself to the Beau Rivage soon after. Before I go let me sincerely thank GulfCoastPoker.net and Bill Phillips for throwing Fade Everything up on the site. GCP occupies a vital niche in the southern poker community, keeping everyone informed and in touch, both of which are essential to keeping the poker economy chug-chugging.

So keep on chug-chugging.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shout out. Continued good luck on the felt. Wild Bill.

    ReplyDelete